Strawberry Breakfast Bars
I've been trying to find a yummy snack bar to that I can have in the morning on my hour commute to work. I have yet to find one that was filling enough or tasty enough to fit my picky ways. So why not make my own! Here is the step by step and recipe to make these yummy Strawberry Breakfast Bars at home.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unsalted butter, cold
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Extra cinnamon sprinkled one top
4 cups strawberries, sliced, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9×13 inch pan, set aside.
2. First you have to make the crust/crumble. Whisk together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt and cinnamon.
3. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut in the butter and mix the egg and vanilla. I used a fork for the first bit until the egg was mixed in then used my hands for the rest.
4. Press half of dough into the prepared baking pan and place in preheated oven for 7 minutes.
5. While the crust is baking, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and strawberries.
6. Once the crust is done, pour the mixture over the warm crust and crumble the remaining dough over the strawberries.
7. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over the top of the crust mixture
8. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until top starts to turn slightly golden.
9. Once done, take them out and let them cool for about 20 minutes in baking pan. I cut mine into individualize portions and wrapped them and store them in the fridge. That gives me easy access in the mornings to grab on the go.